The first time I travelled on the brand-new intercity train was during February 2020, from Colchester to Ipswich, just a random day and thought it was a great opportunity to try a new intercity product.
I boarded the cutting-edge Class 745 and first impressions were outstanding already even before I sat down, it ticked all boxes from door operation controls to instant acceleration and braking. First impression was the layout of the intercity train which was massive indeed with walk-through interiors which is splendid for lots of customers without touching buttons or those sensitive versions you'd find on the foregoing MK3's.
Perhaps I have my personal opinion on contrasted things in trains nowadays - like other rail enthusiasts - the cafe bar area was a bit too small for my liking whereas the foregoing MK3's were picture-perfect for room and space for cafe bar employees serving drinks, confectionery to customers.
A very long train which means lots more seats for customers, walk-through train and a new train.
- Spacious train
- More seats
- Decent toilet space.
- Adequate legroom.
- Automated capacity screens and destination screens on interior.
- Instant acceleration and braking.
- Easy walk-through
- Free WiFi - USB Sockets.
- Decent sized luggage racks
- You tall enough to hit your head on overhead racks.
- Cafe bar is rather small.
- If one of cars in faulty, whole train needs to be taken out.
- Seats are a tiny bit firm, but not too bad.
- Bike space.